- 2 pounds pears
- 1 cup В dried cherries
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- В 1 tablespoon В sugar
- Peel, core, and cut pears into 1/2 inch cubes. There should be about 4 cups of fruit.
- Combine pears, dried cherries, vinegar, sugar, ginger, pepper, and В salt in a heavy large saucepan. Simmer over medium heat untilВ slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. Cover, and refrigerate overnight. В Can be prepared 4 days ahead.
- Toast hazelnuts at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) on an ungreased baking sheet for 5 to 8 minutes. В Husk the nuts, and chop coarsely.
Stir into pear mixture. В Serve at room temperature.